Friday Pie-day! (Shepherd's Pie)

Shepherd's Pie

Happy Easter everyone! I thought I'd do a lamb recipe, in keeping with Easter tradition.

Shepherd's Pie is one of my favourite dinners, it's easy, simple and so tasty!
There are so many variations on Shepherd's pie, but I'd like to think my recipe is nice and traditional.

I use lamb mince in this recipe, which is often regularly available on the supermarket 3 for £10 meat deals, but I also like to use left-over leg of lamb, which you can finely chop or put through a mincer, to use up meat from a roast dinner. In terms of spuds, I use King Edward's. I find them to be very versatile and work well for all ways of using potato!

People think Shepherd's pie is a mid-week meal for the family, but you can jazz it up by serving it in individual pie dishes, which makes them look really neat. Serve as a simple, yet delicious main at a dinner party.

Ingredients
  • 500g lamb mince
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 4-5 medium carrots, peeled and diced
  • Pinch of pepper
  • 1 vegetable and 1 chicken or beef stock pot (cubes are also fine)
  • 600ml water
  • 850g potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 50g salted butter
  • 3 tbsp of milk

Method
  • Using a large saucepan, cook the mince for around 5 minutes on a medium heat. Drain any excess fat, and then add the onions. Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
  • Add the raw carrots, water, pepper and stock pots and stir together. Reduce the heat to a low setting and leave for 2-3 hours, topping up the water if the mixture becomes to dry.
  • Boil the potatoes for around 15 minutes, until tender.
  • Drain the potatoes and mash them, adding the milk and the butter.
  • When the mince has finished cooking, preheat the oven to 180c fan/gas 4.
  • Add the mince to an ovenproof dish, and top with the mash. I choose to pipe my mash with a bag fitted with a large star nozzle, as I find the ridges from the piping give a crispier topping.
  • If you haven't got time, you can just spoon the mash onto the mince, smooth it down, and then use a fork to create ridges.
  • Put it in the oven for around 30 minutes, or until the top is coloured.