Farmers Market

I have never been a lover of a farmers market until recently. I found it was the same things, all the time. The housewives with their jams, an avid gardeners fruit and veg or flowers and little old ladies selling a Victoria sponge. If I'm making the effort to go somewhere, I want to see something that I'd find difficult to get in a supermarket, I want new produce and lots of tasters!

I visited Creake Abbey Farmers Market, in North Norfolk at the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. Free entry and ample parking and plenty of stalls, it was already a great start. There were non-food stalls, but I shan't be focusing on those.
There were plenty of stalls, some very unusual ones too and I'm going to talk about my favourites! (all are available to buy from online!)

The English Canapé Company
Whilst all the stalls were brilliant, this was probably my favourite... My inner snob in me just loves canapés! I think a canapé is just the answer to all social gatherings - no cutlery or crockery to source, less chance of people ruining their outfit with a missed mouthful, minimal cleaning up and it always solves that dilemma of suiting dietary needs of everyone. Not only do they add a sophisticated edge, they look beautiful and are a great way to impress people. 
Hannah Bingley is the mastermind of The English Canapé Company, based in Burnham Market, she caters for all events, across the country, with beautiful, handmade canapés. Using local and seasonal produce means that the quality is outstanding and with such an extensive menu, there is something to suit everyone! 
My top three canapés were...
'Chicory Leaves filled with Baconnaise, South Creake Sausage and Linseed' - this was my favourite because I find that sausages are hard to make pretty, and as you'll see by the pictures, they were stunning! Using the chicory leaf as a base makes for a light canapé, with great texture.
'Toasted Seed and Parsley Pancakes with Roast Chicken, Fennel and Asparagus Crème Fraîche' - another beautiful canapé, taking the classic and commonly used blini, and substituting it with something much more flavourful. The addition of asparagus was gorgeous, as it's in season and tastes amazing, love the idea of flavouring the crème fraîche (sorry Hannah, going to steal this!)
'Mini Salmon Quiche with Pea Crush and Parsley Sprigs' - a great alternative to the smoked salmon canapé we all know, delicate and light pastry and a real fresh taste to this one with the pea and parsley.
My top three on this were hard to choose, because they all looked, and tasted wonderful. 
Head to www.theenglishcanapecompany.co.uk to find full menus, pictures, make an enquiry or even book yourself onto a canapé course!

My favourite three are in the bottom left picture!*

Chilli Fundamentals
Chilli Fundamentals is a business run by Debby at her home in Norfolk. It produces chutneys, pickles, sauces, jellies and much more, all based around chillies! Each flavour had a taster pot, with some tortilla chips so you could 'try before you buy'. As a lover of chilli, I find that the supermarkets stock the standard sweet chilli sauce, jarred jalapeños and chilli chutney, along with other branded sauces, such as the Nandos range - I want something different... And this lady had it in abundance!
My top three that I tasted were...
'The Jalapeño Twist' - a mild jalapeño sauce, which is a great alternative to Thai Sweet Chilli, brilliant to cook with, and good for those who aren't great with chilli heat but enjoy the flavour. We used this on steak and it was amazing!
'Thai Chilli and Purple Grape' - a super sweet and mild sauce, perfect with game meat or strong blue cheese.
'Zesty Lime Chilli Pickle' - a hot chilli kick with a citrus kick, great with Indian food and as a dipping sauce!
Check out www.chillifundementals.co.uk to see where they'll next be visiting, find out more information or buy any produce.

Top - a selection of products *
Bottom - my favourite which I've nearly finished... oops. 

Marsh Pig...
Marsh Pig are a charcuterie business based in Norfolk, who produce the finest quality charcuterie products. The meat, is always free range and is sourced from within East Anglia, they only use the best cuts of meat, they sources their herbs and spices from where they originate, their products are typically 50% less fat than supermarket varieties and the hand make every salami they produce. They may seem pricey, but until you have tasted it, you can't knock the price. They are stocked in shops, delis and restaurants across the South East and East Anglia (you can find where on their website).
I also like the fact they have charcuterie courses, learning how to cure and smoke fresh meat or alternatively they offer a home curing kit for a very reasonable £22.00 - a great gift for a foodie or bacon lover!
My top three products were...
'Lomo - air-dried pork loin' - a beautifully tender charcuterie cut that melts in your mouth, has a beautifully simple, yet complex pork flavour.
'Venison and Port Salami' - an unusual charcuterie cut, with a rich, gamey flavour and the port really comes through. 
'Hot Chorizo' - a sweet yet spicy, rich, warming chorizo. The paprika flavour really shines through and it isn't at all greasy like the supermarket chorizo!
Go to www.marshpig.co.uk to buy their products, curing kit or find where they are stocked!

A selection of their products as well as their home curing kit!*


English Spirit Distillery
The English Spirit Distillery is an international, award winning, copper pot distillery, making a wide range of products, and the only producer of rum made in the UK! Based on the edge of Cambridgeshire, they visit farmers markets across the South East and East Anglia. They add beautiful flavours to the spirits, making for an unusual tasting. Their spirits are high quality and this reflects in the smoothness of the drinking. 
My top three were...
'Old Fashioned English Toffee Vodka' - a smooth, sweet vodka with a massive punch of toffee flavour. Great on it's own or I enjoy it poured onto ice cream.
'Rhubarb Gin' - a smooth gin, with a natural rhubarb flavour, this is great as an alternative to Cassis in your Champagne or Prosecco!
'Strawberry Liqueur' - A light, delicate, fruity liqueur with a hint of strawberry first of all and then a sweet aftertaste. This is great on it's own or also as an alternative summer drink made with soda water, mint and fresh fruit. 
Visit www.englishspiritdistillery.com to buy their products, or book a FREE tasting tour!

My top three!*
I hope you've all been inspired to my post and visit a local farmers markets, amongst the same old, same old stuff, there are hidden gems like the four I have talked about. There were so many other sellers at the market, but these were my favourites and I'll be going back again! Please see www.creakeabbey.co.uk/farmers-market for details of this farmers market.

I'll be posting about food events and much more in the months to come, to give you all some inspiration that doesn't involve you having to cook yourself.











*Please note that the selected photos are not my own, they are owned by each company respectively and therefore are subject to copyright.